Saturday 2 November 2013

Saturday Celebrations - Vodmos of Twisting Nether


It's Saturday already and that means it's time for another Celebration! This week we have Vodmos's tale of glory - fighting evil foes at the Auction House & conquering the Gold mountain that is goldcap! I love reading all these interviews and I hope you do too.

If you'd like to submit your own gold making Milestone Interview, instructions & more details are on my Milestone Interviews page. Any milestone is suitable - whether it be 100k or 10 million, we want to hear about YOUR story. Don't be shy! You've seen what others are sending in over the last 5 weeks so come on - tell us how you've been doing it!
******************

What is your milestone amount? 
My first milestone amount was 100K. It took me almost 6 month's to get there. During that time it was a lot of trial and error to learn my server and find all the helpful blog's out there. My new milestone amount is to cap out and I am half way there.
What got you started making gold and when? 
What started me was another player. I was still leveling my first toon and while flying around questing there was a request for help taking down a quest NPC in chat. I responded and helped the guy out. In return he gave me 500 gold for my time. At first I wouldn't take it explaining that he didn't need to pay me for helping. He insisted because he was capped out on his main and didn't need the gold. 
This intrigued me and after a long conversation he agreed to help me out learning the JC market. This was during Cataclysm and Inferno Ruby's were the hot ticket item. He taught me about posting, when and when not to undercut and when to reset the market. That was the beginning of my AH addiction.

Which markets have you concentrated on, if any? 
The markets are always shifting around with what people are looking for. At first it was just the JC market for me. Then that kind of tapered off and I took what I learned from that market and leveled another toon with Enchanting. I started making decent gold again and used that gold to level more toons to bring up Blacksmithing, Mining,Tailoring and Alchemy (transmute master). 
Now I craft for all of those markets and as a result have a steady flow of income averaging about 10K to 50K per week. If I ever stop being lazy I will finish leveling a toon that has been idle at level 72 for a long time and learn engineering and leather working. Engineering I hear is hard to make gold with but I like some of the items that you can craft personally. 
Leatherworking because I think on my server it seems to be an untapped market. I see people barking in trade looking for a Leatherworker often and cannot seem to find gear for my hunter on the AH. No gear on AH = untapped market!

Biggest successes or biggest failures? 
My biggest success would be learning how to make gold in the first place. It has kept my interest in a game that I may very well have moved on from after the first year or so. One of my two biggest failures would have to be purchasing high end Blacksmith and Tailoring patterns towards the end of Cataclysm with the intent on crafting those items for raking in millions and millions of gold. In reality I over paid for the patterns and didn't break even on any of them. 
LEARN your market before investing anything more than 500 gold. My second biggest failure was purchasing some mounts for resale and mis-posting one of them because I wasn't paying attention. That led to a very disappointing visit to my mailbox.

Advice for new goldmakers? 
1) AH add-on's of course to help with posting and crafting. It is too much to keep track of with paper and a pen. 
2) Get a mentor. Just as in real life, a mentor can really help further your success. Unlike real life that mentor can be any number of the blogs posted weekly by the people that have been working the AH long before you started. I learned a lot from the blogs. I am new to the Auction House Addict but have already learned new things that I overlooked previously (thank you very much by the way). 
3) It is not really needed at first but eventually start or purchase your own guild for the extra storage. Before the last patch for Mists of Pandaria, I invested heavy in raw materials for crafting and resale. I had 5 tabs of one Guild bank and 4 tabs of my main Guild bank completely full of ore, cloth and leather. I have moved almost all of that inventory since the release through crafting or resale but saved tons of gold by buying before the prices almost doubled. It also helps me when I need to reset all my postings by giving me the room to sort them all out and re-post them grouped by category. This helps with the timing for when I go back to re-post after I have been undercut.
Shout outs for any blogs, podcasts or streams that helped you along the way?
Auction House Addict, Tauro WOW guides and the Consortium website that contains blogs, add on tutorials and just general tips that are invaluable.

What's your new goal, if any? 
My main new goal is as previously mentioned cap out. This will take a while as I am not a penny pincher. If there is something I wish to purchase I do so. I spend a lot of time making this gold and really why if I cant use it to purchase the things I want. 
My other goal is not in the game. I have been batting around the idea of starting a blog myself. There are already a lot of blogs out there but this has been enjoyable to write and some of the veteran players seem to be moving on to bigger and better things. Maybe now is the time to do my research and attempt to fill the voids that are left behind by the others such as The Gold Queen. Maybe I will get lucky and have an opportunity to collaborate with someone like you and Marcus Ty do. I have yet to experience any podcast. I think I will change that and make yours the first.
****************** 

Congratulations Vodmos - that first 100k seems to take forever doesn't it? Half way to gold cap now though so I guess you've speeded up a bit! It really does depend so much on the server and the phase at which the game is in - I started seriously making gold at the beginning of Cataclysm when everything was moving fast & for pretty good prices. If I was starting out now, I wouldn't expect such a quick accumulation of gold - with more & more servers slowly dying and populations falling everywhere it seems, markets are slowing down too.

A new expansion will sort that out but brings it's own challenges too - once we have more details, I'm pretty sure there will be a flurry of new articles from me & others too so stay tuned to make the most of your gold making when the time comes.

Have a great weekend everyone! mwah!


****************

Check out some of my Squidoo lenses!


image © bayasaa under Creative Commons licence

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is awaiting moderation - I hate to do this but so many spammers around these days :(