|Pet Battles - Fighting to Make Gold?|
If you want to read through all of the patch notes, you can find them in various places but here is the WowInsider version. My favorite bits are below though:
- A new item has been introduced that can be used to upgrade the quality of Battle Pets: Battle-stones.
- Battle-stones are available in two basic types, general purpose Battle-stones that can be used to upgrade the quality of any pet, and family specific Battle-stones, which can only be used to upgrade pets of a specific pet family.
- Battle-stones are available in two qualities: Flawless Battle-stones can upgrade pets directly to Rare quality, while Polished Battle-stones will upgrade a pet to Uncommon quality.
- Players will have a very small chance to obtain a general purpose and family specific Flawless Battle-stone after winning a match against wild pets; defeating higher level opponents increases the chances of obtaining a stone. Family specific Flawless-Battlestones will be of the same family as the pets that were defeated. These valuable items are not soulbound, and can be sold on the Auction House.
- Family specific Flawless Battle-stones can be found in the Sack of Pet Supplies obtained from performing Pet Trainer quests, and are Bind on Pickup.
- General purpose Polished Battle-stones can be purchased for 1000 Justice Points.
- Players can now keep up to 650 pets.
- The Dragon Kite can now be used in Pet Battles.
- The Imperial Silkworm and Imperial Moth pets can now be created by Tailors.
- Two new Battle Pets now roam Darkmoon Island waiting to be caught.
- Pets can now be filtered by name, type, rarity and level, and filters will remain in place each time the Pet Journal is viewed.
The first thing I thought when I saw these notes was that it would be easier to find the pet I wanted in my journal - it's been a pain to find a specific pet until now & I only have 170 or so. I hate to think how frustrating it was for the really serious pet collectors! Then I re-read the battle-stone stuff - the battle stones you can win from a pet battle in the wild are not going to be soul-bound so that will be a new niche market to keep an eye on. If you already have a good team built up then perhaps using these battle-stones won't be quite so important to you & you can make some good gold on the Auction House with them.
It does say there's only a small chance to pick up battle-stones from a wild pet battle though - the other source is the Sack of Pet Supplies from Trainer quests & those will be Bind on Pickup - if you do decide to sell your battle-stone early on, price them high - with a possibly small supply, prices should be able to stay high for quite a while, at least until more people start pet-battling!
Secondly, there are 2 new pets for Tailors to make - the Imperial Silkworm & the Imperial Moth. Until now, crafted pets have not been very worthwhile in pet battles but with the introduction of battle-stones - might we see a renewed interest in the crafted pets? I'm sure many Engineers are hoping so - Engineering pets have traditionally been a good gold earner for Engineers (think lifelike mechanical toads especially) & I know several scribes who made fairly good gold from the Inscription pets.
The only thing we really need now is for the Auction House interface for Caged Pets & Companions to be 'fixed' somehow. At the moment, there is no way to see the prices of both versions of a pet except by searching them separately & that is a nuisance!
image © Florence Ivy under Creative Commons licence